Many allergy drugs may be fine to keep taking during pregnancy, but have the discussion so you can have peace of mind. Oral antihistamines, like cetirizine (Zyrtec), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), fexofenadine (Allegra), and loratadine (Claritin) seem to be safe.
Can antihistamines harm my unborn baby?
Scientific research suggests that using most types of antihistamines during pregnancy is not linked to birth defects.
What medications should you avoid when pregnant?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
Is it safe to take Claritin while pregnant?
Our experts answer your pregnancy questions
The good news is that antihistamines for seasonal allergy symptoms are generally safe during pregnancy. Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton, for example, are safe. We think the second-generation allergy medications like Claritin and Zyrtec are also fine for pregnancy.
How can I treat allergies during pregnancy?
- Try to avoid your allergy triggers.
- Use saline nose spray to ease your congestion.
- Keep animals out of your bedroom.
- Vacuum often. …
- Use the air conditioner to keep humidity low and irritants out of the house. …
- Shower and wash your hair after being outdoors if pollen sets off your allergies.
Why can’t I take antihistamines while pregnant?
The antihistamines that cause drowsiness may not be suitable to use while pregnant. Your doctor will assess which is the best antihistamine for you . Decongestant medicines are not usually recommended for use during pregnancy. These medicines relieve a blocked nose by causing the blood vessels to narrow.
Can antihistamines cause miscarriage?
Due to the role of histamine and its receptors in these processes, it is reasonable to conclude that antihistamine use may be associated with pregnancy outcomes such as spontaneous abortion (SAB) and preterm birth (PTB). Currently, there are no safety guidelines for the use of antihistamines during pregnancy.1 мая 2014 г.
Can sitting in hot water cause miscarriage?
Hot tub use during pregnancy may increase the risk of miscarriage according to a 2003 study. 16 In that study the risk of miscarriage was doubled on average with early first trimester hot tub use, and increased further with greater frequency of use.
What should you avoid when pregnant?
During your pregnancy, you should avoid:
- Raw meat and shellfish: Uncooked seafood (we’re looking at you, sushi), including oysters, mussels, and clams. …
- Deli meat: Deli meats can be contaminated with listeria, bacteria that can cross the placenta and infect your developing baby.
Which painkiller is best in pregnancy?
- Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen, a nonsalicylate similar to aspirin in analgesic potency, has demonstrated efficacy and apparent safety at all stages of pregnancy in standard therapeutic doses. …
- Aspirin. …
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. …
What allergy meds are safe while pregnant?
Safe OTC Allergy Meds to Take During Pregnancy
- Allegra (fexofenadine)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
- Claritin (loratadine)
- Zyrtec (cetirizine)
Can you take Claritin in early pregnancy?
Rest assured that after years of research on animals and humans, Claritin has been classified as safe to use during pregnancy. Antihistamines like Chlor-Trimeton and Benadryl are also deemed safe for pregnant women to take.
What nasal decongestant is safe during pregnancy?
Decongestant medications reduce stuffiness and sinus pressure by constricting the blood vessels in your nose, which reduces swelling. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and are safe for many women to use during pregnancy.
Why are my allergies so bad while pregnant?
Inflammation can lead to pregnancy rhinitis, or nasal congestion and a runny nose during pregnancy. Although the cause of pregnancy rhinitis is related to hormone production and not allergens, this condition may make pre-existing seasonal allergy symptoms worse.15 мая 2018 г.
How can I prevent my baby from getting allergies while pregnant?
Many parents delay exposing children to allergenic foods, such as peanuts and eggs, to avoid them having food allergies, but eating those foods as part of a wide and varied diet while pregnant and breastfeeding is a better way to do this. Nursing mother Jasmine Smith (left) with her two children.
Can I develop allergies while pregnant?
Yes, you can get allergies while you’re pregnant, sometimes for the first time and certainly if you have a history of them. Allergies are very common in pregnancy, and not all women who experience them are long-term allergy sufferers.