However, several recent medical studies have found that diphenhydramine doesn’t cause these or any abnormalities at birth at all. This research shows that taking Benadryl at any stage of your pregnancy, even the first trimester, is safe.
Can antihistamines cause birth defects?
Researchers found the evidence to be generally reassuring: most antihistamines do not appear to be linked to birth defects. However, researchers need to study certain antihistamine medications further to determine if they increase the risk for birth defects.
How often is it safe to take Benadryl while pregnant?
When you’re pregnant you can take the same dose of Benadryl as before pregnancy. For standard Benadryl, that means no more than 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours for an adult. Some small, older studies suggested that taking Benadryl the first trimester of pregnancy could lead to a slightly higher risk of birth defects.
Is it safe to take antihistamines when pregnant?
Chlorphenamine is also considered one of the safer antihistamines to take during pregnancy, but because it can cause drowsiness, loratadine and cetirizine are usually the preferred options.
Can Benadryl cause health problems?
Many people turn to over-the-counter medicines when they need relief from allergy and cold symptoms or have trouble falling asleep. That’s why you might be concerned about a 2015 study showing that one of the most common of those drugs—Benadryl—could lead to serious health problems, including dementia.
Is Benadryl safe with pregnancy?
Benadryl is considered to be safe during pregnancy. Doctors and nurses recommend this OTC medication to help relieve allergy symptoms, even while you’re pregnant. Recent studies have found Benadryl to be safe. However, always remember that no medicine — prescription or OTC — is ever 100 percent safe during pregnancy.
What pregnancy category is Benadryl?
OTC Decongestants, Expectorants, and Nonselective Antihistamines in PregnancyDrug nameFDA pregnancy risk classificationDrug classDextromethorphan hydrobromide (Benylin DM)CNon-narcotic antitussiveDiphenhydramine (Benadryl)BAntihistamine/antiemeticClemastine fumarate (Tavist)BAntihistamineЕщё 3 строки
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Safe Medications to Take During Pregnancy
- Aluminum hydroxide/magnesium carbonate (Gaviscon®)*
- Famotidine (Pepcid AC®)
- Aluminum hydroxide/magnesium hydroxide (Maalox®)
- Calcium carbonate/magnesium carbonate (Mylanta®)
- Calcium carbonate (Titralac®, Tums®)
- Ranitidine (Zantac®)
What medicine can you not take while pregnant?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
Can you take Benadryl every night?
Taking Benadryl to help you get to sleep is okay in small doses once in a while ― but, again, it doesn’t lead to better quality sleep, Elliott said. Because antihistamines can peer pressure your body to spend more time in the lighter stages of sleep, the eight hours you clock in bed might end up feeling more like five.
What helps allergies when pregnant?
- Try to avoid your allergy triggers.
- Use saline nose spray to ease your congestion.
- Keep animals out of your bedroom.
- Vacuum often. …
- Use the air conditioner to keep humidity low and irritants out of the house. …
- Shower and wash your hair after being outdoors if pollen sets off your allergies.
What natural remedies can I take for allergies while pregnant?
7 Best Natural Remedies For Allergies During Pregnancy
- Beat the Sniffles with Natural Allergy Relief. Looking for a little allergy relief but also hoping to keep things a little more natural during your pregnancy—good news! …
- Raw Honey. …
- Apple Cider Vinegar. …
- The Neti Pot. …
- Sublingual Immunotherapy. …
- Change Your Diet. …
- Acupuncture. …
- Cool Mist Humidifier.
Can I take Sudafed while pregnant?
Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and are safe for many women to use during pregnancy. However, women who have high blood pressure should not take pseudoephedrine without first talking to a doctor. The drug can raise blood pressure and can cause jitters and racing heartbeats.
Does Benadryl really cause dementia?
In a report published in JAMA Internal Medicine, researchers offers compelling evidence of a link between long-term use of anticholinergic medications like Benadryl and dementia. Anticholinergic drugs block the action of acetylcholine. This substance transmits messages in the nervous system.
What are the negative effects of Benadryl?
Common side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, loss of coordination;
- dry mouth, nose, or throat;
- constipation, upset stomach;
- dry eyes, blurred vision; or.
- day-time drowsiness or “hangover” feeling after night-time use.
Can Benadryl cause memory loss?
First-generation antihistamines like Benadryl not only block the effect of histamine, but as anticholinergics, they also block the effect of acetylcholine, a chemical in your brain that helps send messages between cells. Blocking acetylcholine can cause temporary drowsiness, confusion, and memory loss.